Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Monday, February 4, 2013

Single. Mom.

I'm a Single Mom. 

Single? Well no, I'm divorced. I was not single when I became their Mom. (It just felt like it).
Single? Well, yes I'm the only Mom in our home.
Single? As in available, unattached, looking for a partner? Well, I guess so. I've been so busy raising my sons and trying to be both Mom and Dad, I've ignored that part of me. 

Until...
Someone flirted with me Saturday! Actual full-blown, flirt: eye contact, conversation... No sloppy come-on, no indecent proposition, just a little bit of light, innocent flirting. The kind that boosts the ego and makes you smile.

But it's been so long since anyone flirted with me, I missed it at first.

I mean, completely over my head, smile politely and move on. Then it hit me. He's cute, He's well-spoken, and He's flirting... with me. So, for a minute, I flirted back. Smile. Chat. Smile. Move on.

Now with my luck, he's probably just out on a prison-release program or attempting to film some sort of "punk'd" video. I'll never know, but I do wish him well, and I thank him for the experience.

As a Single Mom, my life revolves around my sons, my work, church and community events. It's been so long since I've been to a party, bar, or club that I can't remember it. Since my marriage ended, I've met some nice men, dated a couple of them, and I've met some not so nice.

But for the last (almost) 2 years, I've taken a sabbatical from the dating scene. It's not that I'm out of the game, but I've been warming the bench.

It's not that I'm content being alone. To be perfectly honest, I'm lonely. I'd really like to find a nice gentleman to date. In fact, it's part of my prayer life. But I'm not desperate, either. And I'm not praying "for a man"... I could find one of those anywhere. I'm holding out for the real thing.

I know the real thing exists, I see friends living it every day. Not that fairy-tale garbage (Disney lied) but real life give-and-take. It's not easy, but they work at it. But where is he? I've come to the conclusion that if God wants me to meet Mr. Right... he's gonna put him right down in front of me, no questions asked. (Yes, I'm prepared this may take a while).

Enter: February 14th.

It's on everyone's mind. Friends are blogging about it, red hearts festoon store aisles, and dinner reservations are being made.

Here's the thing about Valentine's Day:

I hate the commercialization of love. I always have. For years I've said, "it's nothing but a retail trap" -- stand in line 2 hours for a mediocre dinner in a jam-packed restaurant, and that's how a person celebrates love? I don't think so. Buy jewelry because that Jeweler-with-the-alphabet-letter-name says: "Every Kiss begins with K" -- great, prostitutionalize love. Kisses shouldn't come about because someone hands me jewelry.  (Side note: I do like jewelry... but if it's the Right Man, he'll be kissed for many reasons, not just jewelry).

Single Awareness Day? You gotta be kidding me! I need a day to celebrate this? To be aware I'm single? Folks, I know every day... I'm alone. Thanks, but no thanks. Take the drama elsewhere.

My Valentine's evening will be spent working. That morning, I will have celebrated with my children as we get ready for school. But my sons know I love them. Every. Single. Day.

To those with a Valentine this year, I sure wish you happiness. Truly I do! Enjoy, have fun, party on. But keep this in mind: Love should be celebrated every day. Big ways, little ways, and all ways.

To those without a Valentine this year ... Well, there's no delicate way to put this: The day is depressing. But remember, it's just a day. Turn off the tv, go volunteer somewhere, read a book, take a nap. And don't forget this: You are loved, by Someone who gave His life for you. No greater love exists. Find your confidence in that Love.

As for me, I'm still working on the term, "Single Mom" ... No clue where this path will lead me. But as I face the (sometimes) overwhelming and very rewarding challenge of being my sons' only parent, I have to remember: my existence can not be summed up in a single title.

And my Valentine Resolution? Not to get so lost in my role as parent that I forget to celebrate being a Woman. Single. Fabulous. Worthy. Loved.

2 comments:

  1. Well I have this friend you see. She is absolutely stunningly beautiful on the outside. More importantly she is stunningly beautiful on the inside. She has a heart with a capacity for love and understanding that few possess. When and notice I said WHEN the extremely lucky man comes along who deserves that heart he will treasure it....or I will kill him :) I love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a reason the boys aren't allowed to go in your purse. Hehe... Love you much. I've got your back, too!

    ReplyDelete