Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Oh Sugar!

Reposting from March 2009, as I close out my Facebook Notes and move them to my blog site.

On Saturday a 5 year old boy was brought to the ER with a small laceration on his head. While his Mom had been at work, his Grandma had been watching the boy. He'd fallen and had a small bump and cut (which Grandma had tended to) but Mom brought him in for medical care to be on the safe side.

I walked into triage while a veteran nurse was talking to Mom and her son. She was asking Mom to identify the white granules around the open, red laceration. But mom didn't know.
The veteran nurse didn't know.
She asked me if I knew what that substance could could be.

Immediately my mind went back in time ... and I knew.

I said,  that's "old-time country medicine" and I looked at the boy and asked, "Did your grandma put sugar on your head?" He said, "Yes ma'am."

I was smiling at the young child, but I was thinking of my father. He would use sugar to clot wounds on animals and humans alike. He had learned this medicine from his mother.. who had been a nurse.

Sometimes when I miss him so, I still get glimpses of my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment