Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Monday, May 6, 2013

In Her Wallet

Original post October 2009 when I was still working in the ER... Reposting today in honor of Nurse's Day, and as I move entries from facebook to my blog page

A pale, middle-aged woman was sitting in one of my assigned rooms, waiting to be seen by the ER physician. I took her vital signs and started asking her questions about her condition. In between episodes of coughing, she told me about her symptoms, and then looked up to me and said, "Do you remember me?"

Sheepishly I told her, "I recognize your face, but can't remember how we met... it was here in the ER?" She said "Yes, I came in with my Mom and you were so nice to her. You two talked about your special needs sons."

I racked my brain but couldn't - and still can't - remember her mom, or the conversation.

The patient continued, "When I told my Mom I was coming to the ER, she got this out of her wallet and told me to look for you today. She wanted you to read it and keep a copy of it."

I looked down at a yellowing copy of an Ann Landers column. It was dated August 14, 1982 and I wondered if my patient's mother had been carrying this paper around for 27 years. As if reading my mind, the woman told me, "My mom loved that poem so much, she made a copy to keep in her wallet. She's had it for years. She wanted you to read it and make a copy for yourself."

By now I had tears in my eyes. Tears of humility because I could not remember this patient who obviously bonded with me. Tears of appreciation for her walk in life with a special needs child. And tears of hope as I was reminded we are never alone.

I touched my patients hand and relayed my sincere thanks to her, and her mother, and made my way to the copy machine while reading:

"Heaven's Very Special Child"
by Edna Massimilla

A meeting was held quite far from earth!
It's time again for another birth.
Said the Angels to the Lord above,
This special child will need much love.
His progress may be very slow,
Accomplishments he may not show.
And he'll require extra care
From the folks he meets down there.
He may not run or laugh or play;
His thoughts may seem quite far away.
In many ways he won't adapt,
And he'll be known as handicapped.
So let's be careful where he's sent.
We want his life to be content.
Please, Lord, find the parents who will do a
Special job for you.
They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play.
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love.
And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for their gift from Heaven,
Their precious charge, so meek and mild,
Is Heaven's very special child.


I was too busy that day to sit and truly absorb this beautiful poem when it was given to me. I tucked it in my wallet, where it remains. Every now and again I take it out of my wallet and read it... tears spilling down my cheek as I think of a very special patient who kept a testimony of faith, hope, and love in her wallet.


No comments:

Post a Comment