Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Life's a Dance

On the way to the band festival, Robert was full of excitement. He was going to be a helper! Conversation went from band chatter to a very solemn question about tonight's big event - his first school dance.

Yes, he's attending the Special Needs Prom at school tonight.
His question: "Do you think they'll have a waltz tonight? That's 1,2,3,4, isn't it?"
I told him they might play one but I really doubted it. I offered to help him with dance moves (he usually declines my offers) or watch some youtube videos.
He said, "No, I'll be ok."
Then he talked about seeing his friend, whom we'll call David, tonight. He and "David" have been buddies since 6th grade. "David" is a very tall young man, and as we know, Robert is not very tall. Together they look like Mutt & Jeff, but they've always looked out for each other. Robert would worry about David's grades, and David was a bit of protection for Robert.
Alas, this year, David has followed a different path at the high school and stays with the other students on the remediation hall, and Robert is advancing on a different path through school.
So, big happiness will come from their attending the dance together tonight. Robert told me, "David talked me into going to the prom."

...Fast forward to driving home after the festival.
Robert says, "Mom, I've got to be under my blanket for a while. It's a big day."

No problem, I'm thankful he recognizes his need to unwind. So, I turn on my computer and check messages.

I receive one from a friend who tells me: Robert has asked a young lady to the prom!
WHAT? I had no clue!

He has known this young lady a long time, and he knows she only likes him as a friend.
But still, he asked to the prom, YESTERDAY. And he never told me.
If it hadn't been for a dear friend's message, asking what the young lady should wear... I'd never have known!

This status update is long, so let me sum up and say:
I've cried many tears this afternoon.
Tears of sorrow for my son's social skills challenges.
Tears of thankfulness for friends who are kind and who love my son.
Tears as I think of those who are not so compassionate to my son.
Tears of gratefulness for a young lady's kind heart and christian love of a friend.
Tears of frustration because I didn't see this coming.
Tears of inadequacy because Robert said, "I didn't tell you because you're not a guy. We need a guy."
Tears of gratefulness -- for parents who are raising incredible young people.
Tears because there is still so much good in the world.
Tears because Kroger has corsages available at the last minute.
Tears because my son is growing up.

What a day.
I have to head to work and Grandma is coming over to pitch hit. She and Ryann will be taking pictures and keeping me updated.

Robert has learned he must always talk to Mom about these things, that he should have contacted the young lady's parents, that there are many things we should have done. He has had tears in his eyes. He didn't mean to cause a problem. He just wanted to go to the dance, and he wanted to ask his friend to go with him. He's still under his blanket.

I pray he has a good time tonight with his friends. I pray for many blessings for the young lady, and all the children attending the prom tonight. I pray Miss Clairol keeps making my shade of hair dye, because the grey continues to grow!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment