Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Monday, September 10, 2012

It's a Dude Thing

I wish I knew how to be a man. Seriously.

No, I'm not thinking about a sex change operation or making an announcement about my gender. I like being a woman. It's how God made me, and after all these decades, seems to be working for me, last time I checked.

But I'm raising two teenage boys on my own. Their father isn't around and their Grandfather (my father) is deceased. While I might wish to meet a nice man, I'm in no hurry, and have no desire to date just anyone to have a man around the house.  

So where does that leave us? 

Oh yeah, I'm trying to learn to think like a man...

God gave me these boys to raise and he knew what I'd be up against, so He graciously gave the boys great role models in teachers, friends-of-the-family, and via activities. But there's no significant male influence in our home. So it's up to me.

I can teach them manners (so far neither one scratches themselves in public very often) and I can teach them morals, praying they're listening. But the dude stuff? 

About a year ago I realized, I had to get with the program!  

So, we tackle dude-type projects together. Google has become my friend. I research inexpensive do-it-yourself projects and we take them on. The boys have learned about weeding and have done some landscaping and gardening. This spring we plastered and painted the kitchen, and made a backsplash behind the kitchen sink. We work as a family and we work hard. Our results might not be up to Bob Villa's standards, but they're ok!

But what about the rest of the dude-stuff? How to court a woman, how to be a gentleman, how to be a Dad? Well, I just tell them how I think a Man should act, how he should treat a lady, how to be respectful. And they've learned in their own way about how to be a real Dad. Antiquated or not, they open doors for women, they let ladies go first, and while they're a little young for dating I've already said "Well, if you were the parent of a teenage daughter, how would you want a boy to treat HER?" 

I strive to raise up two righteous Christian young men who will go out and be successful in this life -- however that success is defined.

But the other day, a commercial came on tv depicting two men standing at a water cooler. One man started discussing sports, and the other mentioned yoga... Yoga dude ends up with water being thrown in his face. On some levels, I think the commercial is tacky. But, it's as if water was thrown on my face, too, because I realized...  I have to teach a sport to my boys. I don't want them left out at the water cooler when they grow up!

I think my youngest son will be ok, he's sociable and is a great conversationalist. 

But did I mention my oldest is very high functioning autistic? He has Asperger's Syndrome and has to be taught social skills. He's still coming to terms with the fact not every person will want to hear about his latest coin acquisition or his geckos, and he is slowly accepting the notion of making small talk with friends.

So I sat down with the boys and told them, "You have to pick a sport and come to understand it so when you grow up, and other guys at work start talking sports, you can talk about it too and fit in. It's a dude thing." His response was basically, "Mom, I know I'm a guy. I don't have to like sports." I don't know if I was right or wrong, and I don't know what a man would do but I said, "I don't care if it's your favorite thing, but it's something you need to know. It's a man thing."

So now we're going to pay attention to football and hockey a little more than we already do, and I'm going to pray about other male-bonding things I have to teach the boys. 

Because of me, and all the Aunties in their lives, they'll probably be the most polite men around the water cooler, but hopefully, they'll fit in and understand how to act like a dude in a man's world.

3 comments:

  1. Jeanne......i have to comment on this.........i THINK i understand where you are coming from on this one.....HOWEVER.....I have a great friend who is also a single mom.....and she had a son and daughter........she instilled in her son the values of respect....honesty...empathy...everything that you have presented to your boys.....and everyone is doing just fine.....children are special creatures who are open to learning and caring from whether you are a dad or mom......which sometimes...like in your case...one in the same...at least you don't have to struggle with having a second parent who may or may not agree with how you are raising the boys.....it's all your call....NOT all men are into sports....even the straight ones!! LOL....as an example....my dad who played bball in high school lost all interest in sports.....and to this day he really doesn't watch sports....NOW he is a hunter/fisher but not the sports thing.........so let the boys be who they are....i wouldn't force anything on them.......they have their music....their art...their coins...their creatures....and THAT is what is important to THEM....that is their "sports".........THAT will be what they will talk about around the water cooler....doesn't make them less of a man....it makes them a different man.....AND WITH THAT...i want to share something i saw on the trip to DC......i saw two dads one on the trip up and one on the trip back......the first was a brand new dad......he had a newborn who was 18 months old....he played with him....made pig noises and car noises while the little guy ran a truck across the food tray....kissing him on the check and telling him how smart and handsome he was.....that was on the trip up....on the trip back i was presented yet another dad....of FIVE.......the youngest was probably around 2 or 3 and the oldest was around 9-10 as far as i could tell.....he was caring......playful...made sure even the littlest one was getting attention.....he was attentive to every need...made sure they all got on the plane ok etc.....told his youngest that she was such a strong girl for staying awake and walking onto the plane all by herself....my point here......these guys were not the typical stereotype of a dad which you and i grew up with.....they were different.......they were "human"....a softer version of a dad.....so i guess what i am trying to say if that the definition of a dad has changed greatly.....and it doesn't matter if you don't have the dad parts...you are STILL THEIR DAD......and their MOM to boot....and in my opinion you are doing a DAMN FINE job at both!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're on this journey with us... and able to help me see things in a better light! Thanks for helping me beat back the feelings of inadequacy! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hon I wouldn't have it any other way.....anytime you need a sounding board you know I am here............you are doing a WONDERFUL job with the boys!!!!! :)

      Delete